We are searching for works of fiction by the Clark College community that provoke thought and resonate. Combine your words together in a way that
will be like a sucker-punch to the gut. Introduce us to real characters who are in real situations. Avoid the stereotypical and stray from cliché. Capture what is real, both emotionally and physically.
erotica, children's fiction, and plays will not be accepted. Excerpts or chapters from
novels will be considered, but they must be able to function as stand-alone stories. Please do
not submit works that have been previously submitted for consideration
to Phoenix unless they have gone through considerable revision.
Tips for Success:
- 5,000 words maximum
- Do NOT put your name on the manuscript (works are anonymously judged)
- Make sure your title is on the manuscript
- Double-space your document and use Time New Roman size 12 font
- Include word count on the first page
- Include a writer's statement that says something substantive about the work
- Attach submission as .doc or .docx files
- Do not submit more than 2 works total in any one literary category
- Edit your work carefully for grammar and spelling
- Make sure your submission is not a draft. Has anyone else read it? Has it been workshopped and have you received feedback you've used to revise it? No work should be submitted that has not been thoroughly revised.
- Has the work been edited carefully? If you need help with grammar, consider going to the Writing Center.
- Does your work meet all the submission guidelines?